Atlantic City, NJ – The Casino Association of New Jersey (CANJ) reacted to the December 2022 Division of Gaming Enforcement (DGE) gaming revenue results report, which showed that 2022 was a year of rebuilding and recovery for the Atlantic City casino industry, as the City of Atlantic City, the State of New Jersey and the country weathered the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“In 2022, the Atlantic City casino industry continued to face challenges, including the lingering effects from the pandemic, a difficult economy and high inflation,” said Mark Giannantonio, president of the Casino Association of New Jersey. “As we move into a new year, Atlantic City casinos are committed to providing the best possible experience for our customers, which includes making significant investments that will continue to solidify Atlantic City’s position as a world-class resort destination with top-notch dining, shopping and entertainment offerings.”
Despite the challenging economic climate, the Atlantic City casino industry continues to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in the city and the community through exciting economic development projects, including:
- Bally’s recently debuted over $100 million in renovations including new rooms and lobby, restaurants, a 360-degree rotating bar, an indoor/outdoor beer garden, and new gaming product. In 2023, Bally’s will focus on enhancing the customer experience by adding new slots, new ways to win, new carpet and offer new and lucrative offers, rewards, and benefits. Bally’s was also proud to support local organizations such as AtlantiCare’s Treasure The Moment, Toys For Tots, N Veterans Memorial Home, Salvation Army, and Boys & Girls Club and hosted Red Cross Blood Drives and beach clean-ups.
- Borgata Hotel, Casino & Spa ended 2022 celebrating the highly anticipated multimillion-dollar enhancements of Old Homestead Steak House and Miralto, Borgata’s High Limit Slot Lounge. The 20th-Anniversary celebrations including legendary entertainment paired with thrilling casino promotions, do not stand alone in Borgata’s plans for 2023. Further enhancements throughout Borgata will be center stage and not easily missed.
- Caesars Entertainment's Atlantic City Resorts is investing in new restaurants, hotel rooms and entertainment at Caesars Atlantic City, Tropicana Atlantic City and Harrah’s Atlantic City. As part of the $400 million capital investment program, CET will open the following hotel, restaurant, and entertainment experiences in 2023:
- Nobu Hotel at Caesars: Following the restaurant’s debut, Nobu Hotel will open on the top three floors of Caesars Centurion Tower and will feature redesigned rooms and suites with Japanese-inspired decor mixed with sleek, modern touches.
- “The Hook” Residency by Spiegelworld Debuts at Historic Warner Theatre on Atlantic City Boardwalk this June: Spiegelworld, audacious producers of ground-breaking shows including the Las Vegas megahit Absinthe, will resurrect Atlantic City’s iconic Warner Theater to feature The Hook, the city’s first live entertainment and dining residency on the world-famous Atlantic City Boardwalk at Caesars this June. Tickets for The Hook are on sale now, visit: https://spiegelworld.com/thehook/.
- Lobby and Valet Transformation, including All-New Starbucks at Caesars: Game-changing enhancements will transform the Caesars Atlantic City valet and hotel lobby invoking an elegant and welcoming sense of arrival for guests. The redesigned first-floor lobby will also feature an all-new Starbucks offering mobile ordering, a welcome addition to the property.
- Purple Zebra Daiquiri Bar at Harrah’s Resort
- Brand New Location for il Verdi: il Verdi, ranked one of the top overall restaurants in Atlantic City according to Open Table, will receive a new beachfront location with stunning ocean views adjacent to Ossu Japanese Tavern. The new location will debut this spring.
- Gaming Enhancements at Tropicana: A multitude of gaming enhancements will take place to create one of the market’s first casinos of the future. A brand-new Caesars Rewards experience center will bring digital and in-person gaming together with tablets and a Caesars Sportsbook app center in a shared space. The experience center will feature self-service kiosks to check accounts and print cards, and a state-of-the-art video wall. Additionally, there will be 240 new games, with over 200 new titles on the floor. The entire gaming floor will be revamped, including new carpeting, to enhance the overall guest experience.
- Golden Nugget Atlantic City continues to invest in its hotel and casino offering its loyal patrons the very best in gaming, amenities, and accommodations. In 2023, the hotel will begin a multi-million-dollar remodeling project redesigning its rooms and suites as well as making improvements to back-of-house infrastructure areas such as elevators, cooling towers, among others. The gaming floor will also incorporate the newest and most popular slot machines.
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Atlantic City is investing over $30 million dollars in live entertainment in 2023 cementing itself as the market leader in headliner entertainment. Legendary performers will be at Hard Rock Live and include Grammy-winning artists such as Motley Crue/Def Leppard (Feb. 10 & 11), Billy Strings (Feb. 16, 17, & 18), The Killers (March 16), Kelsea Ballerini (March 17), Chicago (April 15), Janet Jackson (May 20), Keith Urban (Sept. 1 & 2), Zac Brown Band (Sept. 15), Anita Baker (Nov. 24) and more. Additionally, expect Hard Rock Atlantic City to launch its new global rewards program, UNITY by Hard Rock, in the first half of 2023. UNITY is a loyalty program like any other that will enable patrons to earn and redeem rewards at participating Hard Rock Hotels, Cafes, and Casinos around the globe.
- Ocean Casino Resort is excited to announce the investment of $15 million to redesign an additional seven (7) hotel floors, adding to its already outstanding room product. Ocean will also be allocating significant capital expenditure into its hospitality and food and beverage offerings including The Soup Spot, a private helipad and sustainability initiatives, adding to the overall appeal of North Beach as a destination.
- Resorts Casino Hotel is celebrating its 45th anniversary this Memorial Day weekend with festivities that will be exciting for both guests and team members. New entertainment options and experiences will also be introduced this year. There will be major capital improvements in the hotel, gaming operations and technology which will ensure a successful 2023.
Collectively, the casinos have invested over $1 billion dollars into the marketplace over the past several years. These new investments will create world class attractions, generate additional employment opportunities, and attract more visitors to the beachfront resort in the upcoming year. As the cost of air travel continues to impact Americans, one-third of the U.S. population can travel to Atlantic City on a tank of gas, which makes the city an even more attractive tourist destination.
“Our industry is facing strong economic headwinds, like most businesses across America, as we continue to experience uncertain days ahead. With that in mind, our ongoing partnership with the local and state officials to further advance the economic growth of Atlantic City is vital to the long-term success and viability of our historic seaside resort,” added Giannantonio.
In addition to making major investments in Atlantic City’s economic development, the casino industry continues to be a strong community partner, donating millions of dollars to local, county, and statewide organizations, including the Boys and Girls Club of Atlantic City, Covenant House of New Jersey, CASA, AtlantiCare Foundation, Stockton University, The Community Foodbank of New Jersey, American Cancer Society and many others.
The industry is supporting the Hope One/Hope Exists Mobile Outreach Program, a program that Atlantic County Sheriff Eric Scheffler piloted in 2018 with a vision of serving the entire community, one individual at a time. The goal of the “HOPE ONE” mobile unit is to remove barriers to access for people suffering with addiction, connect them with services and eliminate the stigma associated with seeking help.
About the Casino Association of New Jersey
The Casino Association of New Jersey (CANJ) is a trade organization that provides a collective voice for the Atlantic City casino industry by facilitating the exchange of information and ideas between our industry, small businesses, Atlantic City stakeholders and the general public. The CANJ consistently advocates for legislation and initiatives that support the ongoing revitalization of Atlantic City into a world-class destination resort. A thriving casino industry drives economic growth, job creation, increased tax revenue for state and local budgets, and prosperity for city residents, hardworking families and businesses which rely on the casinos for their livelihood. Our goals are simple: protect and grow the tens of thousands of jobs the casino industry supports across New Jersey and continue Atlantic City’s transformation into a world-class destination resort. For additional information, please visit www.casinosnj.org.